People in Tuscaloosa always have an opinion, and are eager to share with anyone who will listen. One of the things they never can seem to agree on is the best place to stay in Tuscaloosa when visiting.
Well, I hate to say it, but the best hotel in Tuscaloosa isn’t a hotel at all, it’s a condo complex. That’s right. WestGate Luxury Condominiums have everything you can find at a hotel and more, so why would you stay anywhere else?
Our son is about to finish his freshman year at the University, so we’ve had many opportunities to visit Tuscaloosa and stay at different properties. WestGate has surprised us time and time again, and we know for the next three years it will be our home away from home.
It’s all about location
When it comes to Tuscaloosa, just about everything revolves around the University of Alabama. Whether you’re moving kids into the dorms, staying around for support during sorority rush, or in town for a football weekend, it’s important to stay close to the action.
Luckily, WestGate is right across the street from Bryant-Denny Stadium. I mean from some of the condos you can see the stadium, heck and maybe even hit it with a football.
From the rooftop of the complex you can get 360 degree views of the stadium and take in all of the game day fun without the crowds.
Another great feature of this location is it’s easy access to restaurants and shops on the Strip, the Publix grocery store, Rama Jama’s, sorority row, and Starbucks. I walk to all of them when I stay at the condo and they take less than 10 minutes on foot.
What are the accommodations like at WestGate?
WestGate is privately owned condos, some of which are rented out and others which are not. Units can be from one to four bedrooms and they all have at least 1.5 bathrooms.
All units have a spacious kitchen with bar area, large living room, bar area, and furnished patio space. Amenities like dish soap, coffee, toilet paper, and paper towels are included so you don’t need to go out and buy them. These condos offer everything your family needs to be comfortable.
Rates fluctuate at WestGate (as do all accommodations in Tuscaloosa), and game days will be more expensive than most, but you are definitely getting your money’s worth!
Why you should stay at WestGate condos versus Tuscaloosa hotels
I’ve stayed at a handful of properties in Tuscaloosa and they were fine, but WestGate residences are impressive. They are clean, spacious, and super convenient to campus!
Here are some of the features and amenities that makes WestGate the best place to stay in Tuscaloosa:
- Parking – all guests have parking privileges in the condo’s garage. This means no driving around endlessly trying to find a space. Just pull in and park in your space and head to your unit.
- Fully outfitted kitchens – WestGate has some of the most beautiful kitchens I’ve ever seen in a vacation rental. They are fully equipped with Wolf & SubZero Appliances, coffee and ice makers, blenders, and toasters. You name it, they probably have it.
- Full size washer and dryer in unit – If you’re staying long term you can pack less and just do laundry in Tuscaloosa.
- Comfortable beds – yes, I know I already said it, but it deserves repeating. These beds are so comfortable you’ll never want to leave them!
- Fitness center – as a guest of WestGate you have access to their Fitness Center. There are plenty of cardio machines and exercise equipment.
- SkyGate Club and Terrace – This place looks a lot different on game days (more on that below), but the rest of the week it is a great space to just hang out. There’s a pool table, shuffle board, big screen tvs, a gaming lounge with Xboxes and PlayStations, and complimentary soft drinks. My kids love to hang out here when we visit Tuscaloosa.
- Private patio with seating – each unit has an outdoor patio space that is fully furnished and some have BBQ grills. If your unit doesn’t have a grill, there are ones on the rooftop terrace available for use.
- Easy access wristbands – each unit guest will receive a wristband upon check in. These are used to access the building, elevators, and your unit. No need to worry about finding the key when you need it.
- Grocery delivery service is available – if you don’t want to head to the store before your arrival just reach out to the front desk and they can make arrangements to have groceries delivered.
What’s it like on Game-Day in Tuscaloosa?
Everyone knows that one of the best things to do in Tuscaloosa Alabama is going to watch the Crimson Tide football games. Put yourself in the heart of the action by staying at WestGate.
Game days in Tuscaloosa are filled with tailgate parties, crowds, and fun. You can have all of that and more at WestGate with their Ultimate Tailgate Experience.
Guests staying at the condos have access to SkyGate Club. In addition to the indoor space, there are 14 outdoor seating areas for groups of 8 and 65” TV screens for each one. These areas are shaded to protect everyone from the elements and have views of Bryant-Denny Stadium and the Walk of Champions. Perfect for hanging out before, during, and after the game.
WestGate offers chef-prepared game day buffets, live music on certain days, liquor and spirit lockers, a cocktail making station, and liquor delivery service (as long as you order 48 hours in advance). If you want to have the ultimate Alabama game day experience this is it!
Oh, and no need to find parking since the reserved parking garage space is included with your condo!
One more reason to it’s the best place to stay in Tuscaloosa
In case I haven’t convinced you it’s the best place to stay in Tuscaloosa, I’ll leave you with this. My favorite thing about staying at WestGate is having access to a kitchen (and I don’t even like to cook on vacation)! Every time I visit my son I’ve been able to invite his friends over for a meal or two or even three.
There’s plenty of room for them to hang out in the condo (even the one bedroom units) and they love spending time in SkyGate Terrace playing pool and shuffleboard. This also provides me with an opportunity to meet my son’s friends and learn more about them. It thrills me to see my son in his element and I wouldn’t change this for the world.
WestGate Luxury Condominiums will be our go-to place to stay in Tuscaloosa for many years to come and we are sure you will love it too.