Mexican Cocoa Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipe
One of the coolest things I’ve seen during the last few months are these hot chocolate bombs. They are popping up everywhere, with all sorts of flavors, so I thought why not create something a little different? I love the spicy taste of Mexican hot chocolate, and decided it would be perfect filling inside a chocolate bomb. Here’s how you can make your own Mexican Cocoa Hot Chocolate Bomb at home.
*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended. Please check out our disclosure policy for more details. Thank you for your support!
Before you begin, you are going to want to invest in some supplies. You will need some bath bomb molds. These will help to hold and shape the chocolate. Other special supplies include chocolate candy melts (we like dark chocolate but milk chocolate works too) and gold glitter sugar.
It’s also best to lay out all of your supplies in the beginning so everything is within reach at any given time.
After melting the chocolate, grab your muffin pan and line it with the bath bomb molds. Using the bottom of a measuring spoon, move the chocolate around so that it completely lines the mold.
After cooling the cups in the freezer, carefully remove them from the cups.
The next step is to fill the molds with hot cocoa, Mexican hot chocolate spice, and mini marshmallows.
Melt the rim of one chocolate shell (instructions on how to do this in recipe card) and gently press together with the other half to form a complete ball.
Finally, you will want to decorate the ball with chocolate and glitter sugar.
Mexican Cocoa Hot Chocolate Bombs
Hot chocolate bombs are the newest holiday dessert! Drop them in a cup of warm milk and create your own Mexican spice flavored hot chocolate.
- 2 cups Chocolate Candy Melts
- 1 cup Hot Cocoa Powder
- 2 cups Mini Marshmallows
- ¼ cup Gold Sparkling Sugar
Mexican Hot Chocolate Spice Mix
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- Combine ingredients together for the Mexican spice mix. Whisk or blend with a fork until the mixture is well combined. Set aside.
- Place chocolate candy melts in a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave per the directions on the package.
- Place 1 tbsp melted candy melt into one half of a bomb mold and, using the bottom of your tablespoon measuring spoon, press the chocolate up the sides of the mold, keeping it thick but even. Repeat with 12 bomb mold halves.
- Place the chocolate filled bomb molds into the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove molds from the freezer and gently tap the sides of the mold, pressing on one side of the chocolate to make the chocolate slide out of the mold.
- Fill 6 of the molds with 1 tbsp hot chocolate mix, 1 tsp Mexican spice, and 6-8 mini marshmallows.
- Heat a plate or a flat-bottom bowl in the microwave until the surface of the plate is warm to the touch.
- Press one of the empty chocolate bomb halves open-side-down onto the flat portion of the warm plate for about 10 seconds. This will gently melt the rim of the chocolate cup.
- Immediately press this warmed edge chocolate cup to the top of one of the filled cups. This will join the two halves of the hot cocoa bomb.
- Using a piping bag or a fork, drizzle the remaining chocolate candy melts over the assembled hot cocoa bombs then immediately follow by sprinkling gold sparkling sugar over them.
- Place the hot cocoa bombs into the freezer for 5 minutes to get them to set, then remove and store in an airtight container until you’re ready to use.
- To use the hot cocoa bombs, place them in a mug and pour 2 cups hot milk over the top. Stir until the hot cocoa bombs are completely melted and enjoy!
You will also need bath bomb molds or cake pop molds and, if using bath bomb molds, I found it best to hold them steady in a cupcake tin.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ghirardelli Sweet Ground Chocolate and Cocoa | 3 lb. | Baking & Desserts
Vanilla Mini Dehydrated Marshmallows (1 LB - Bag)
Ghirardelli Melting Wafers Bundle, Milk Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, White Chocolate, Set of 3-10oz each
Celebakes Shimmering Decorating Crystal Sugar, Gold, 16oz Tub
KitchenAid Classic Measuring Spoons, Set of 5, Aqua Sky/Black
Medium Semi Sphere Silicone Mold, 2 Packs Half Sphere Silicone
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 442Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 58mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 5gSugar: 47gProtein: 7g
Looking for other holiday treats? Don’t miss our peanut butter fudge recipe and stollen bread.